Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm a Chef at Heart!

Some of you out there know that one day I would like to be the kind of cook that people rave about. All of you know people like that who can cook anything and have it taste delicious. So lately I have been really into watching the food network, and reading cooking blogs to try to hone in on my cooking skills. Last night I decided that I would make a nice meal for my hard working husband. So I decided to make a hearty chicken & rice soup and biscuits which turned out to be the perfect meal since it has been freezing lately. To my surprise the soup turned out delicious and it was really easy! My biscuits also turned out great which was kind of weird because I have never made them before. So since the soup was so great I decided to post the recipe so all of you can try it one day! By the way I got this recipe from the pioneer woman's blog and made a couple of changes.

Hearty Chicken & Rice Soup
2 chicken breasts
8-10 chicken bouillon cubes
4 Tbs butter
4 Tbs flour
1 yellow onion
2 carrots
1 green pepper
2 celery stalks
1 cup white rice

Cook 1 cup white rice in a pot with 2 cups of water, a little salt & a drop of olive oil (you can also just cook your rice in a rice cooker if you would like). Cover 2 chicken breasts with 2 quarts of water. Add 8 to 10 bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil & cook over medium heat until chicken is done (about 20 minutes). Remove chicken and cool. Once chicken is cooled shred it. Dice up the onion, green pepper, and celery. Grate both carrots. Melt 4 Tbs butter in a skillet and add 4Tbs flour to make a roux, cook for about 2 minutes. Add the roux to the pot of chicken broth and stir. Saute veggies in butter till softened. Add chicken to the mixture and salt it to taste. Add this veggie and chicken mixture to the broth, dump in the rice and stir. Heat up the final mixture and enjoy!

This soup is also really yummy if you add a couple of drops of Tabasco sauce to your bowl.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

That recipe looks yummy! I love to cook and am ALWAYS on the hunt for new recipes. I have posted some of my favorite on our family cooking blog. You are welcome to look at it. There is a link for it on Melanie's blog and it is called Fagers Favorite foods;-)

Amy said...

I am Amber and Chuck's sister in law and I wander into your blog every now and then. I LOVE Pioneer Woman. I was thinking about making this soup and now I will. Try her Sherried Tomato Soup sometime...it's great. Also so is her olive bread and that new salad she posted.